Acting Quickly Is Key When Contesting Adoption – Part 1

December 5th, 2016

Do you need to contest an adoption in Portland? You may need to contact a family law attorney right away.

Young GirlGiving up a child for adoption is one of the most difficult decisions a person can make. What if your child was given up for adoption and you were not told?

It occasionally happens to fathers who aren’t married to the mothers of their children. Sometimes it’s because they’ve failed to file the proper legal documents that establish their rights as the child’s father.

When an unmarried father finds out that their child is up for adoption, it may be beneficial to act quickly. Once the adoption is finalized, the adoptive parents become legal guardians, and the biological parents no longer have rights to the child.

To object to the adoption, you must establish yourself as either the presumed or putative father.

What does it mean to be the presumed father? What does it mean to be a putative father?

Those questions will be answered in part two of this series about contesting an adoption.

If your child is about to be adopted or if you fear it might happen, contact Ronald Johnston, an experienced Portland family law attorney. He has fought for the rights of mothers and fathers and understands what it takes to contest an adoption.

Comments are closed.