Child Support Modifications in Beaverton Oregon – Part 2

January 18th, 2017

Ronald Johnston, a divorce attorney with 40 years of experience practicing family law in Beaverton, continues discussing child support modifications.

Mother and baby on beachIn part one of this two-part series, we discussed how situations can change to make your current child support order insufficient to serve the family.

When that happens, a parent needs to petition the court to modify a child support order. It’s suggested that you don’t do this alone, but with the help of a capable and venerated lawyer like Ronald Johnston.

Here are some reasons the court might find substantial enough to modify a child support order:

  • There’s been a change in the physical custody of the child
  • The number of children involved has increased
  • The child’s needs have changed
  • The income of one, or both parents, has changed

A significant change in circumstances can justify either an upward modification or a downward modification. In other words, the dollar amount of child support can increase or decrease.

After you petition the court for modification, discovery will take place. This is the process of disclosing the information to the other side. If necessary, there will be a court hearing.

If you’re seeking child support modification, contact Ronald Johnston, a competent and knowledgeable divorce attorney practicing in Beaverton Oregon.

Comments are closed.