If you are in the process of divorce in Hillsboro Oregon, you know that no matter how hard you try, conflict will arise. How you deal with conflict will dictate just how negative your divorce will get.
Keep your cool during conflict by using these tips.
- When angry, separate yourself from the situation and take time to cool off.
- Attack the problem, not the person. Start with a compliment.
- Communicate your feelings assertively, NOT aggressively.
- Focus on the issue, NOT your position about the issue.
- Accept and respect that individual opinions may differ, don’t try to force compliance, work to develop common agreement.
- Do not review the situation as a competition, where one has to win and one has to lose. Work toward a solution where both parties can have some of their needs met.
- Focus on areas of common interest and agreement, instead of areas of disagreement and opposition.
- NEVER jump to conclusions or make assumptions about what another is feeling or thinking.
- Listen without interrupting; ask for feedback if needed to assure a clear understanding of the issue.
- Remember, when only one person’s needs are satisfied in a conflict, it is NOT resolved and will continue.
- Forget the past and stay in the present.
- Build ‘power with’ NOT ‘power over’ others.
- Thank the person for listening.
For a caring and effective divorce attorney in Hillsboro OR, contact Ronald Allen Johnston here.