Do Unmarried Fathers Have the Same Rights as Married Fathers

December 9th, 2016

A common question asked of divorce attorneys in Portland Oregon is whether or not unmarried fathers have the same rights as married fathers.

Father and child at beachOf course, every situation is different, but for the most part, the answer is no. Unmarried fathers do not have the same rights as married fathers.

They can, however, gain those rights. Unmarried fathers can acquire the rights of married fathers through several measures including signing a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity or VAP.

Without a paternity order on file, unmarried fathers have no legal rights to a child.

A VAP is a critical document that is completely backed by the law. It’s usually signed at the hospital by the parents, shortly after the birth of their child.

If it’s not signed, then it’s recommended you contact a knowledgeable divorce attorney like Ronald Johnston to learn of your legal options.

Unmarried parents may benefit from signing a VAP as soon as possible. Even if on good terms with your child’s biological mother, having a signed VAP is considered a good idea.

Ronald Johnston, a caring divorce attorney in Portland Oregon, fights for the rights of both mothers and fathers in cases involving family law matters. To contact him, click here.

Comments are closed.