Do You Need Help with Spousal Support Enforcement? – Part 1

August 29th, 2016

If you live in Portland Oregon, and are having trouble receiving spousal support, Ronald Johnston can help.

divorce agreementNot paying spousal support is as serious as not paying child support. Those who withhold spousal support payments might find themselves in contempt of court.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to enforce and recover spousal support. That’s why it’s important to seek the help of a competent divorce attorney.

There are two main ways for a divorce lawyer to work with the courts to enforce spousal support. Those two main ways are civil contempt of court and wage garnishment.

  • Civil Contempt of Court – You and your lawyer will demonstrate to the court that your ex-spouse is not meeting the requirements of the support decree. Your ex-spouse will have a chance to respond. Then, the court will rule. If the court rules in your favor, your ex-spouse might be ordered to pay back spousal support.
  • Wage Garnishment – The second legal avenue your attorney can take to ensure that you receive spousal support is wage garnishment. As the name suggests, funds will be taken directly out of your ex-spouse’s salary and given to you.

In part two of this series, we’ll look at spousal support modification which is a legal counter your ex-spouse’s divorce attorneys may use.

For more information about spousal support in the Portland OR area, please contact the offices of divorce attorney Ronald Johnston by clicking here.

Comments are closed.