Dos and Don’ts When Seeking to Modify a Child Support Order

July 3rd, 2017

Ronald Johnston is a venerated divorce attorney practicing in Portland Oregon. He represents both mothers and fathers seeking to modify an existing child support order.

If you think your child’s financial support payments need to be changed there are several Dos and Don’ts to consider. 

Don’t seek to modify a child support order simply because you want to pay less, or receive more, money. Do seek a modification of a child support order if you can demonstrate a major change in economic circumstances.

This change in circumstances must have occurred after the court issued the original child support order.

Don’t modify a child support order on your own, even if the other parent agrees.

It’s also recommended that you don’t stop paying child support. Modifications and terminations of child support payments must be issued by the court.

Don’t refuse visitation as a punishment for missed child support payments. Financial support is the right of the child, it’s not a punishment. Nor is visitation a reward for paying child support.

The best thing you can do if you want to modify an existing child support order is to contact Ronald Johnston. He’s an experienced divorce attorney in Portland Oregon who has helped mothers and fathers modify child support orders.

Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.