Family Lawyer in Portland Oregon Discusses Modifications

September 17th, 2014

When a divorce is finalized, things like child support, spousal support, and parenting time plans are finalized as well, and both people are expected to follow them.

Sometimes, though, after a divorce is finalized, things change in a person’s life that could require modifications to either child support, spousal support, parenting time plans, or a combination of all of them.

Requesting modifications to these things can be a tricky process, so ensure that you enlist the help of a family lawyer in Portland Oregon before attempting to alter the original order.

An experienced family lawyer in Portland Oregon like Ronald Johnston will help you decide if seeking a modification is a good idea.

Here are some important things to know before considering seeking modification:

  • The party seeking to modify must demonstrate to the court a substantial change in circumstances has occurred.  These types of situations could include:
    • Large change in parenting time
    • Income of one or both parties substantially changed (a small cost of living raise does not count as substantial)
    • Needs of the child changed
    • Additional children were born, or other children of the parties became emancipated
    • If parents cannot agree on modifications, a hearing before the court will be necessary

For questions on your specific case, contact Ronald Johnston by calling (503) 226-7986, or fill out the form to the left.

Read more here.

Comments are closed.