Has Your Former Spouse Stopped Paying Spousal Support?

May 3rd, 2017

Has your former spouse stopped paying spousal support? If he or she has, consider contacting Ronald Johnston, an experienced divorce attorney practicing in Portland Oregon.

You deserve to receive your spousal support. If your ex refuses to pay, he or she may be held in contempt of court.

Enforcing spousal support can be difficult. It’s recommended that you seek the help of a qualified and knowledgeable attorney, like Ronald Johnston.

There are many avenues Ronald Johnston can take to enforce your spousal support. One of those ways is a civil contempt of court.

In a civil contempt of court, Ronald Johnston will demonstrate to the court that your ex-spouse has defied your divorce agreement. The judge can then order payment, issue fines, or whatever is deemed necessary to make your ex-spouse comply with your divorce agreement.

When a spouse seeks spousal support, it’s common for the other party to seek a downward spousal support modification. This may involve discovery, oral dispositions, subpoenas, and eventually, a hearing or trial.

The process can quickly become very complicated. For these reasons, it’s recommended that you contact a lawyer when your ex-spouse is avoiding his or her financial responsibilities.

Remember, spousal support is not a dischargeable debt. Your former spouse can’t get out of it by declaring bankruptcy.

Also, if your former spouse is retired, you can garnish their social security and pension benefits.

Don’t go another month without your spousal support. Contact Ronald Johnston, a divorce attorney with more than 40 years of family law experience in Portland Oregon.

Comments are closed.