Interstate Child Custody and Relocation

October 10th, 2016

If you want to relocate your child out of state, or if you want to stop your ex-spouse from moving out of state, you may want to contact a divorce attorney in Portland Oregon as soon as possible.

A child custody order issued by one state will be given full faith and credit by all the other states. So, if you have a child custody or child support order in Oregon, it will be upheld in Washington and California as well as Maine, Florida, and all the other states in between.

Whatever state your child custody or child support order is from, that state will retain jurisdiction over the order until all parties have permanently vacated the state.

Taking a child across states lines in violation of a custody order can be a federal crime and can involve the FBI. The action could result in serious legal trouble for the offending parent including the loss of custody or parenting time.

Interstate custody usually becomes a problem when the custodial parent wants to move out of state. Remember, the court is going to base its decisions on what is best for the child, not what’s best for the parent.

Ronald Johnston, a qualified divorce attorney in Portland Oregon, has a wealth of experience with interstate child custody cases. To contact him, click here.

To learn about international child custody and relocation, click here.

Comments are closed.