Divorce is not a pleasant experience for anyone, but is there such a thing as a good one? There are several characteristics of more “successful” divorces that you can try to make goals for your own to help you feel like you had the best possible outcome.
- Closure- There is no unfinished emotional business and both of you are disengaged from the relationship.
- Social Life- You have found new ways of entertaining yourself. You have made new friends or have started dating.
- A sense of economic justice- You and your ex feel as if the settlement was fair. Neither of you feels victimized by the divorce process.
- Trust- You and your ex no longer feel like you are adversaries and can trust that each other’s communication and decisions are coming from a good place.
- Communication skills- You and your ex are able to communicate effectively, and can effectively co-parent your children.
- Conflict Resolution and Mediation Clause- On the occasion that conflict arises, you feel as if you have the skills to be able to resolve your differences, using a mediator if necessary.
- Mutual goodwill- Both of you wish the best for each other and no anger or resentment remains.
If you need advice about divorce in Portland OR, contact our divorce attorney here.