Oregon Law May Have You Paying Child Support to Your Adult Children

September 3rd, 2016

Did you know that under certain circumstances, you may need to pay child support for your adult children? Determining whether or not you need to pay can be confusing, and Oregon is one of the few states that has such a statute on the books. Ronald Johnston, a Portland Family Law Attorney, can help.

moneyIn Oregon, adult children may still be eligible to receive child support if they are enrolled in college or some sort of higher education. Usually, child support ends when the child turns 18.

To be eligible to continue to receive child support, the adult child must meet the following requirements:

  • They must be 18 to 20 years old.
  • They cannot be married.
  • They must be attending school, college, university, vocational training, GED course, or Job Corps.
  • They must be making satisfactory academic progress. “Satisfactory academic progress” is determined by the school.
  • They must be carrying at least half the full course load. Again, “full course load” is determined by the school.

Child support payments will not only continue while the adult child is in school but also while they’re on breaks as long as they intend to return to school.

Just because a parent is paying child support to an adult child doesn’t mean they’re responsible to pick up the entire bill for their higher education.

Child support will likely go to the adult child or directly to the school. The adult child can participate in litigation concerning their support but the court will not provide them a lawyer.

Whether you’re the parent, or the adult child, you might want to seek the help of an experienced Portland family law attorney, like Ronald Johnston, to help you navigate through this unique Oregon law. Contact Ronald Johnston, by clicking here.

Comments are closed.