Moving between homes can be a difficult situation for everyone involved, including the children. The transfer process alone can be stressful enough. There are many ways that parents can make these situations less awkward. If the transfer between homes ends up being more upsetting than they should be, here are a few tips to help reduce this pressure.
- Try to keep the transfer brief, even if a distraction comes up that might stall these meet-ups, it is important to keep them short and sweet.
- Peacefully attempt to say “hello” and “goodbye” to the other parent, even if they do not return the gesture. It is important for your child to see that you are making attempts to be civil.
- It may be best if nothing but simple salutations occur during these child transfers. Necessary discussions or arguments can happen later. If the other parent attempts to initiate a conversation, you could simply request that it wait until later.
- Attempt to avoid arguments at all costs.
- Consider not carrying your child during the transfer.
- Try not to give the other parent the silent treatment because it may lead to tension for the child.
- Do your best to not respond to any negative comments.
- Try to avoid any kind of drama for the sake of your child.