Ronald Johnston, Portland Oregon’s Premier Family Law Attorney, Can Help You Enforce Child Support – Part 2

January 11th, 2017

How do you enforce a child support order? Experts recommend that you contact a knowledgeable and experienced divorce attorney practicing in Portland Oregon. One such attorney is Ronald Johnston.

mom and child on beachIn part one of this week’s series on child support, we looked at steps one might take to enforce a child support order. In part two, we’re going to look at mechanisms the court can use to ensure that child support, and back child support, is paid.

Here are methods Oregon courts can use to enforce a child support order:

  • Garnishment of wages
  • Collecting federal and state tax refunds
  • Putting a lien against any property the non-custodial parent owns in Oregon
  • If more than $2,500 is owed in back child support, the court can suspend the offender’s driver’s license, passport, occupational licenses, and/or recreational licenses
  • Reporting the child support default to credit agencies
  • Holding the offender in contempt of court
  • In extreme cases, the offender can be sentenced to jail

Keep in mind that not paying child support does not affect parenting time and other custody orders. No matter how frustrated you may be with your child’s other parent, you cannot deny them access to that child.

To read part one of this blog series, click here.

If you need assistance in enforcing child support, contact Ronald Johnston today, a divorce attorney with 40 years of experience practicing family law in Portland Oregon.

Comments are closed.