The Intricacies Involved in Contesting the Adoption of Your Child

January 22nd, 2018

family law attorney in Hillsboro ORAt Ronald Johnston Law, we understand that the decision to give up a child for adoption is one of the most difficult choices parents may have to make. It can be even more heartbreaking if one parent makes this decision without the consent of the other.

So, what can you do if you want to parent your child but they are instead being put up for adoption without your consent?

  • Quickly obtain legal counsel
  • With your attorney at your side, determine your legal standing to take custody of your child
  • File a petition with the courts to stop any adoption proceedings

Ronald Allen Johnston is a family law attorney in Beaverton OR that deals with family law matters involving children and unmarried fathers every day. He realizes the hurdles for fathers who want stop an adoption and the necessary legal actions they need to take to preserve the right to be involved in all aspects of the lives of their kids, including the serious choice of adoption.

Whether you as a father correctly established your rights through the proper legal documentation or not, it is important to know your rights and responsibilities. Attorney Ronald Johnston has advocated for the parental rights of both mothers and fathers for decades and can help guide you through the process of obtaining or retaining these rights and put a stop to an adoption process if necessary.

How Do I Stop the Adoption of My Child?

Ronald Johnston Law stresses the importance of timing when it comes to this life-altering process. It is much easier to put a stop to proceedings that have yet to close than to attempt to overturn a legally binding adoption. Waiting too long or not hiring proper representation puts you at risk of losing access to your child.

The first step of the process is determining whether you are a presumed father or a putative father. This distinction as classified by the law is a big part of understanding the rights you have to your child.

If you legally established paternity before the adoption proceedings or were married to the mother during the pregnancy, you are a presumed father. This means that you not only have the right to notice of adoption, but you can also object to an adoption and declare your intention to parent.

If you have not established paternity, were not married to the mother during pregnancy, and have no legally estabished relationship with the child being put up for adoption, you are a putative father. Under the law, putative fathers are also entitled to legal notice of an adoption. In reality though, many putative fathers do not receive the proper notification of the adoption, and the father is not aware of the event until it is too late.

Not being given proper notice of adoption does give you grounds to file against the mother, but the time period to file is incredibly short. These cases are very complex and if you find yourself in this situation, you must act quickly to seek out legal representation and stop the adoption proceedings.

When fathers attempt to establish parental rights, they must work hard to show a legally recognized relationship with their child. They do this by filing for paternity acknowledgment in court, signing putative father registries, and performing other acts that show your current involvement in the life of the child.

Ronald Johnston Can Help

Your family law attorney in Beaverton Oregon, Ronald Johnston, understands the Oregon statutes (109.094 and 109.225) that outline the actions putative fathers must take to receive consideration as a presumed father, and can help you through this complex situation.

Every contested adoption case is unique, which is why we take an individualized approach to pursue the most effective solutions for you and your child.

If you have been recently made aware of the impending adoption of your child without your consent and you have the desire to parent, you need experienced and steadfast representation to safeguard yourself.  Contact Ronald Allen Johnston today. He will educate you about how you can establish paternity in addition to upholding the rights you have to your child in the court of law.

We cannot stress enough about how time sensitive most of these cases are. So if you are in this situation, consult with an experienced family lawyer immediately.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.