Timing Is Important When Modifying A Child Custody Order

September 25th, 2017

In Oregon, if you want to modify an existing child custody order, you must petition the court. Ronald Johnston, a prominent divorce attorney in Portland Oregon, has more than four decades of experience practicing family law.

Child Custody

He has the skill and knowledge to work on your behalf to ensure that your child custody order works for you and your family. He can also help you modify an existing child custody order.

Oregon courts issue child custody orders based on what’s in the best interest of the child. To ensure a level of stability is maintained, requests to modify an existing child custody order can only be made three years after the child custody order was issued, reviewed, or last modified.

If it’s been less than three years, a modification to a child custody order may be requested if there’s been a major change to your child’s circumstances, your circumstances, or the circumstances of the other parent.

There are many circumstances that may qualify a child custody order for modification. A few examples include one of the parents changing their living situation, a change in the needs of the child, and additional children entering the family.

If you need an experienced divorce attorney in the Portland Oregon area, contact Ronald Johnston. He fights for the rights of mothers and fathers in family law cases.

Tags: , ,

Comments are closed.