Earlier this week in this blog space we discussed some important tips for women on how to get through a divorce. At Ronald Johnston Family Law, we represent both women and men and so now we want to share some helpful tips for men when it comes to divorce.
Often when a couple splits up it is the man who ends up paying spousal support and/or child support to his ex-wife and children. However, there are several financial issues that are involved in divorce that men should be aware of. TheWeek.com recently posted an article about this topic, and some of the advice from their article is listed below.
- There are a lot of expenses that go into divorce, so make sure you are prepared to pay those fees.
- If you are ordered to pay alimony, then pay it. It could even help lower your taxes.
- On the reverse side, don’t turn down any spousal support, either. If your ex-wife has taken the predominant earner role, then ask for spousal support.
- Create a budget for your life after divorce and divide things equally with your former spouse.
- Never make hasty financial decisions, which could end up costing you down the road.
- My best advice to a guy contemplating divorce is to get good legal representation fast- before mistakes are made!
If you’re a man in Portland, Oregon looking for a divorce lawyer then you should contact Ronald Johnston Family law right away. Click here to learn more.