Unmarried Fathers Have Rights Too

May 31st, 2017

Unmarried fathers have the same rights as married fathers if they correctly secure parentage. To learn how to do so, consider meeting with Ronald Johnston, a venerated Portland Oregon divorce attorney with more than four decades of experience practicing family law.

When a child is born to a married father, there’s a presumption that he’s the child’s legal father. The married father must do nothing to secure his parental rights. 

When a child is born to an unmarried father, there’s no presumption that he’s the father. In other words, legal parentage is not automatic for unmarried fathers.

The easiest way for an unmarried father to establish paternity is to execute a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity (VAP). This document must be signed by the father and mother and then filed in court.

If the mother refuses to sign a VAP, the unmarried father can establish paternity in court.

Legally established paternity allows for the following:

  • Child custody
  • Child support
  • Parenting time
  • Preventing the relocation of a child
  • Requesting the relocation of a child

If you are unmarried and about to become a father, contact Ronald Johnston today to secure your rights. Ronald Johnston is a Portland Oregon divorce attorney with more than 40 years of experience fighting for the rights of his clients.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments are closed.