What Are My Visitation Rights If the Other Parent Has Sole Custody?

October 5th, 2016

Ronald Johnston is a divorce attorney working in Hillsboro that has 37 years of experience helping mothers and fathers obtain fair child custody orders.

lone tricycleChild custody is probably the most important and complex issue dealt with by divorce attorneys. Parents going through a divorce have lots of questions about the matter.

One of the most frequently asked questions is- What are my visitation rights if the other parent has sole custody?

If you’re asking this question it probably means your offspring isn’t living with you. Even so, you may still have the right to see your child especially if it’s in their best interest.

In Oregon, visitation is called “parenting time.”

The mechanism that will give you the opportunity to see your child is a parenting time plan. A parenting time plan is a legal agreement, endorsed by the court, which clearly details how you and your child’s other parent will share parental responsibilities.

It also details when you, the noncustodial parent, can spend time with your offspring.  Furthermore, it will ensure that you have access to information and records concerning the welfare of your child.

As you can see, there are a lot of moving parts to a parenting time plan. To ensure that your rights as a parent are upheld, seek the help of an experienced divorce attorney in Hillsboro Oregon like Ronald Johnston. Contact him by clicking here.

Comments are closed.