Just about every divorce attorney in Beaverton Oregon gets asked about child support. Few of these attorneys have more than 40 years of experience practicing family law like Ronald Johnston.
Child support can be very complex. It’s also the legal right of all children whose parents are either divorced or unmarried with a custody order.
Below is a list of what you need to know about child support. The following key points pertain to the State of Oregon.
- Child support is calculated on several factors including the needs of the child, parents’ incomes, and the parenting time plan.
- There are many variables the court may consider to adjust a child support order.
- Child support will continue until the child is emancipated (typically when the child turns 18) or married.
- Parents cannot stop paying child support even if both parents agree.
- Parents cannot modify a child support order unless it’s approved by a court.
- To enforce child support, one may petition the court. The court has several methods at their disposal to enforce child support payments including garnishing wages and sentencing the delinquent to jail.
- Adult children can receive child support if they pursue some form of higher education.
If you need assistance with your child support, contact Ronald Johnston today. He’s a venerated and knowledgeable divorce attorney practicing in Beaverton Oregon.