What You Need to Know About Divorce & Child Relocation

September 14th, 2016

Beaverton OR divorce attorney Ronald Johnston is familiar with multiple perspectives of child relocation cases.  He has represented parents wanting to relocate their child as well as parents wanting to keep their child from relocating.

child playingTrying to relocate with a child of divorce is not only emotionally charged, it can be legally complicated as well.  To navigate this physical move properly, seriously consider utilizing an experienced family law attorney.

If you have a child custody order, you should assume that you can’t move more than 60 miles away from your current residence.  If you wish to move further than 60 miles away, you must ask the other parent for permission.  If they agree, you’re good to go.

If they don’t agree, it is likely that one party, or both, will ask for a modification of custody or even sole custody.  Either way, the courts are now involved and they will ultimately decide on whether or not you can move.

Often, a spouse will want to move more than 60 miles away for a job opportunity, or a job opportunity for a new spouse.  Oregon courts don’t always view great job opportunities as being in the best interest of the child.

And it’s the best interest of the child that will ultimately influence the court’s decision. To that end, they will often bring in a third party to make a child custody evaluation.

If you move more than 60 miles away without a court order you may face criminal prosecution.

One of the biggest mistakes people make in these type of cases is waiting too long to ask the court if they can relocate.

If you want to relocate a child, or you’re trying to stop an ex-spouse from relocating your child, it is highly recommended that you contact an experienced divorce attorney in Beaverton OR, Ronald Johnston.

Comments are closed.