Parenting Time

Portland Family Lawyer for Families in Need

Photo of a father and his son
One of the biggest issues facing parents who are divorcing or were never married is division of time with their children. Parenting time allows custodial and non-custodial parents alike to be fully involved with their children’s lives and with the manner in which they are raised. Our Portland family attorney can work with you to make sure you receive an appropriate amount of parenting time. Call us at (503) 226-7986 today to discuss your case and set yourself down the right path toward a better relationship with your child.

What is Parenting Time?

“Parenting time” is the term the state of Oregon uses in place of “visitation.” According to state law, their goals regarding parenting time are:

  • Ensure that children maintain “frequent and continuing contact” with both their parents as long as they are acting in the best interest of the children
  • Encourage parents to be actively involving in raising their children regardless of their marital status
  • Assist parents in creating their own parenting time plan which works to the advantage of all parties involved, first and foremost taking the best interests of the children into consideration

How is Parenting Time Determined?

The non-custodial parent, or the one who does not maintain physical custody of the child, will receive scheduled parenting time. The state of Oregon recognizes that each case and each family is unique, and takes this into consideration when calculating the exact amount of parenting time to be ordered.

There are a few additional things about parenting time that are important. There is no minimum age at which a minor child may decide to stop going to visit their non-custodial parent. Also, the custodial parent does not have the right to stop allowing parenting time due to non-payment of child support. If there is an order for parenting time in place, it must be upheld. The only way to modify a parenting time plan without agreement of both parents is to petition the court.

For More Information, Contact Ronald Johnston

Portland family lawyer Ronald Allen Johnston has been working with Oregon families for more than 40 years. Our law firm puts the best interests of the child first, and advocates for parents’ rights in family law matters. Every parent deserves the right to spend time with their child and have a say in how that child is being raised. If you need help getting the parenting time you should have call us at: (503) 226-7986.

Comments are closed.