Child Support FAQ

Our Portland Family Attorney Represents Mothers and Fathers in Child Support Matters

With all divorce proceedings and other child custody cases in Oregon, our Portland family lawyer understands that the establishment of a child support order often is a central legal issue. Whether you share joint custody of your children or if you have sole custody, the complicated child support rules and guidelines of Oregon are often confusing and can easily be miscalculated.

Our firm has compiled the following frequent asked questions relating to child support that we commonly answer for our clients. If you are searching for answers to these questions and more, contact attorney Ronald Allen Johnston to learn how we may be able to calculate a fair and accurate amount of child support for your case, in addition to offering you other affordable legal services.

How do Oregon courts calculate child support?

State laws in Oregon calculate the amount of child support a parent must pay based primarily on the needs of the child, the incomes of the parents, and the parenting time schedule established in a parenting time plan. While Oregon child support guidelines are able to calculate and determine this support, the court of law may also consider other factors when ensuring that the child support order is fair to all the involved parties.

Our Portland family attorney believes that there are many beneficial opportunities that individuals representing themselves or inexperienced legal representation may overlook when it comes to this calculation of child support. Ronald Johnston utilizes the latest child support calculation software in combination with their more than 40 years of experience handling family law matters, which gives our clients different options and scenarios to consider when dealing with their child support agreements.
Back to Top

What happens if the other parent fails to pay child support?

Regardless of whether a parent participates in a parenting time plan, children are entitled to receive child support from a mother or father who filed to establish paternity, marriage dissolution or child custody. When a noncustodial parent fails to pay child support, you may have the right to pursue an enforcement of these payments in the court of law. This may include pursuing a number of legal actions so that your child can gain the support he or she needs. Talk with our Portland family lawyer Ronald Allen Johnston by calling (503) 226-7986 to start learning about your right to seek an enforcement of your child support order today.
Back to Top

I need to modify a child support agreement. Can you help me?

A child support order that is enforced by the state may be reviewed every three years. Additionally, a child support order may be modified any time a substantial change in circumstances has occurred.  The party seeking to modify must prove that a substantial change in circumstances has occurred. For more information about if your circumstances warrant a child support modification, contact our Portland family attorney to schedule a confidential second opinion of your case.
Back to Top

Comments are closed.